Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Organizing your Home Part Four

I am so enjoying these posts. Thanks Joan. If you missed the first three you can catch up here...

http://themomsquad.blogspot.com/2009/08/messy-messy-messy.html
http://themomsquad.blogspot.com/2009/08/organizing-your-home.html
http://themomsquad.blogspot.com/2009/08/organizing-your-home_24.html

How To Analyze Your Type

Part 2

I finished showering in the basement bathroom. Upon coming out to put my towel in the hamper, I noticed that once again, my son did not put his towel or clothes in the there but ON the basement floor right NEXT to it. He’s in his early 20’s and knows better.

Instead of fussing, yelling or just picking it up, I asked, “Ryan, are you okay? Is your arm hurt from baseball?”

“No, Mom. Why?” he replied.

“Well I figured your arm was hurt because you weren’t able to ACTUALLY throw your clothes IN the hamper.” He got the hint.

The point is sometimes it’s not only your habits that need changing; however, it’s the best and only place to start.

If you were not able to identify with last weeks types, you should be able to find something in these that you associate with. You may be a combination.

4. SENTIMENTAL: Every rock picked up at the beach since your children could walk, every picture they ever drew, duplicate photos….. I need to keep it all because it is important.

5. CLEAN ONLY: If it’s clean it won’t matter where they are piled. One the couch, chair, bed, table. If the outside of the big boxes along the wall are packed, dusted and visible who cares. As long as it is clean, it never needs to be put away.

6. SAFETY: I don’t refuse to wash or polish floors because they might be too slippery. Why would I bother to put that away? If I put those papers in the drawers they may become too heavy and when I open them they will fall over.

7. GREAT INTENTIONS: This is on sale, it’s cute and would look good in the Living Room Corner and when I get everything straightened up, I will put it there. Problem is if you looked in the basement, you would see that you bought something for that corner 5 months ago with great intentions that also did not get used.

8. FUTURE NEEDS: I realize that I have 4 sets of measuring cups, 3 dog bowls and one dog, 2 sets of encyclopedia’s but what if I am cooking for a neighborhood and if one of the dogs bowls break and if the Internet is down and both of my children want to use the "Q" volumn of the encyclopedia. I might need these things.

9. IDEALISTIC: I’ll do this and this and this. Great thoughts, however, Ben Franklin said it best, “Well done is better than well said.”

It is so important to realize that life circumstances get in the way of great goals. Depression, Illness and the list could go on. It is important to remember that no matter what Type you relate to that you need only do one thing at a time. I don’t know who said this but it makes great sense…..”How do you eat an elephant?...One bite at a time.” That belongs to our goals also.

God bless you all this week.

No comments :